Firstly a caveat, boosting your natural levels of Testosterone (T) may or may not do anything for you, depending on your goal.
If you have LOW T, raising it will definitely help you be stronger and grow muscle…
If you already have T levels within the “normal” range, there is very little evidence for raising T levels (i.e. without exogenous testosterone) increasing muscle growth or strength… Most studies show no difference between men with different levels.
There is, however, evidence that higher T levels can help with fat loss, mood and sex drive, even if you are already in the normal range, so its still a worthwhile goal.
- Lift heavy weights using compound movements. Lifting lighter weights for high volume can also work
- Eat fat (particularly saturated fat and monounsaturated fat) and dietary cholesterol. Low-fat diets are proven to decrease T… Getting enough fat is a great way to make sure your levels are optimal. I’m not suggesting keto or having butter in your coffee, just get some good quality fat from a variety of sources. E.g. Eat whole eggs and avocados daily
- Nutrient deficiencies can cause low T levels. Get sufficient intake/levels of Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin D
- Sprinting and interval training have been shown to increase T
- Avoid sugar. One study showed that 75g of sugar intake causes a 25 per cent drop in T levels for up to two hours
- BUT still eat carbs, in proportion to how much you exercise. Very low carb diets combined with daily exercise have been shown to raise cortisol (stress hormone). There is an inverse relationship between cortisol and T. On days you workout, aim for a higher carb intake.
- Have lots of sex (but don’t ejaculate often). One study showed a peak in T levels 7 days after the last ejaculation. Other studies have shown increases in T from watching porn but not ejaculating… So, combine sexy times with infrequent ejaculation (at most, once per week) and you have a recipe for T increases. A great reason to study and practice Tantric and Taoist techniques, but that’s a whole other post.